04 May 2007

Asparagus


- "Do you like asparagus?"

I looked at him, standing a few steps behind me at the supermarket check-out. He pointed to the packet of white asparagus that inched slowly forward on the conveyor belt.

"No, not really. Shame I guess."

- "It's a really good vegetable. I love it." He was around my height, wearing a dark brown sued jacket, and blue jeans. "It's great they're out again."

"Well, I don't like the fibery feeling. But it's alright, I guess. Not that I'd buy it for the sake of buying it."

I slowly put the other groceries into my bag, careful to leave the packet of asparagus until last. It felt a little awkward that what was in my shopping basket had become the object of a random conversation.

- "You have to peel it. And usually I boil it a few minutes first, and then it's ready. You can do a lot with asparagus". The guy got so excited for some reason, and I wondered why... what's so exciting about asparagus?

"Maybe that's why I don't like it. Didn't know you had to peel it."

- "Of course you have to peel it. The skin's pretty rough. Once you peel it, the 'meat' underneath is really tangy. And so delicious!" Are the packets of chocolate-chip cookies, chips and mushrooms less interesting? I had to restrain myself from laughing.

"Maybe I should try it your way then."

- "Yeah, do that. It's asparagus season, and they're fresh and cheap. Lots to eat. I just can't get enough." He smiled, and looked interested.

"Sure... I'll just do that. Maybe I'll change my mind and start liking asparagus."

I looked at the packet of asparagus, and suddenly they looked different. No longer the discounted item I had wanted to buy since seeing that commercial on TV, but... different. As if they were more than just vegetables.

- "I'm sure you will. It's really such a wonderful vegetable. So much nutrients. Especially the green ones. I know these are white, but green ones are best. They're thinner too. And much chewier." The excitement still lingered, and the more he talked, the more excited he seemed to get.

"OK... I'll be sure to try those too. Bye."

I finally picked up my packet of asparagus, and put them gently into my bag. The girl who had just been 'harassed' by this random asparagus-guy hurriedly made her way toward the exit. I stood there for a few moments, and replayed the whole event in my head, trying to search for some kind of 'meaning' behind the whole conversation.

Asparagus... asparagus... it was all just about asparagus! The asparagus that I bought which somehow, in a bizzare and surreal way, became the 'binding' factor between strangers.

Outside, brown and white confetti fell and flew from the trees.

No comments: