18 December 2006

Fog


It's one of those still, silent nights. After ten hours in the library I walked out of the law building, to be confronted with a world shrouded in fog. A surprise, since the whole day the weather had been quite clear and crisp. I guess a lot of things happen when you retreat away from the real world into the supposed black and white world of law.

Cycling home, past the forest and woods, the front lights of my bike created a tunnel of light, beaming ahead of me. All around me, a semi-transparent layer of vapour and cold. Somewhat refreshing, to breathe in, and feel the dew condense inside of you. Somewhat a mysterious feel to everything too, as if everything is veiled over by a thick, thick blanket, whereas I'm the only one speeding ahead, speeding home in the middle of the night.

It was a slow start to study today. Went in early, hoping to get more work done. Chose a place under the huge skylight so as to get plenty of light and sun, and to keep me awake. But it didn't help. Somehow I'm not all that efficient in the morning. After dozing off a couple of times, decided to go out and take a stroll. A breath of fresh air can do wonders, and it really did help.
After I went back in the afternoon, I more or less sat and read, and read....

....and besides the occassional shy, drifting eyes whenever some good-looking guy walked by, I did manage to focus, more or less, and actually understand some of the complicated issues we've been dealing with over the past few months. What wonderful eureka moments, after some muddling around confused and lost, only to have ideas and thoughts suddenly click together like a puzzle!

Two more days to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I mention I love fog?

Everything is so mysterious, and the world is suddenly so much smaller.