23 December 2006

Dear friends


So I wandered the cold, cold streets at night for a while. My breath blurred my vision as I walked aimelessly in the empty streets. Peering into windows, families were sitting at the dinner table, dining, bonding, sharing amid twinkling last and an open fire.

Feeling upset I called a friend, just to talk. Within the next minute, he told me to wait. He was coming to meet me. For him to get to where I was he had to travel almost an hour, yet he was willing to do so. Just for a chat, to share a drink, to make me feel and know I'm not alone.

Just for me. As we parted later in the night, as I watched him walk away, I felt myself smile and warm up inside. What did I do to deserve such a kind, selfless gesture? And in a few more hours another friend will receive me, take me in, give me the warmth and hugs I need over the Christmas period.

How wonderful it is to have friends... friends who come to you when you least expect it, when you most need them most.

1 comment:

itchingjo said...

Friends stay together.

felt warmth from you :)