18 November 2006

Crossing Border


Just got back from the amazing Crossing Border music festival here in The Hague. Ear drums still humming, but boy did I have a great time dancing and moving to the beat!

It's an annual three day event of arts, culture, music and performances by up-and-coming, and some pretty wellknown, artists around the world. And some friends and I decided today's programme was best, and after the evening was over we weren't disappointed at all.


Kicked off with some moody and touching blues from Bettye LaVette. Her voice and the songs were so chillingly moving, some parts felt like she was speaking to me, talking to me like a mother comforting a child, and moved me to tears. Folllowed by this Norwegian duo called Susanna and the Magical Orchestra, with a voice that was simply heavenly, especially when she sang 'Jolene'. Then, ended with this fusion of 'gangsta rap', folk song, soul, pop, funk and reggae, hip-hop and blues by Arrested Development. Amid the jumping up and down, the wringling of my body to the music, I couldn't but break out in laughter at the presence of an seventy-something year old 'papa' getting 'jigging' with it on stage with the performers.

What a night~

No comments: