12 May 2006

In memory

In memory of an unborn life,
Chance passed it by, and so did life.

Today it was done. They went to the abortion clinic, and after a few hours the egg was removed.
I got a call from my brother today around lunch time, saying they had to wait a few hours. They did an ultrasonic scan first, and they could see it. The size of a small ball, my brother said, and he showed me with his fingers. It was about the size of the circle you make when you do the 'OK' sign with your hand. Nothing much, just a ball, he said. And oh yeah, there were so many people at the clinic, mostly young people.

It was awfully quiet when they came home. The girlfriend sat alone, eating silently in the dinning room. She looked 'empty'. I didn't know what to say, and all I asked was whether she was alright. 'Fine', she said. She has been sleeping pretty much ever since she got back.

Later I found out that they had to scrape the uterus clean. Just reading about it, and imagining it made me sick. Really physically sick. What it must have been like for her, and for so many who have to undergo it...

Seven weeks old, it was. I wondered what it would be like at seven weeks old...and so I checked.

I don't know...The more I think about what was done today, I more I feel uncomfortable.
I can't write on any more about this...

No comments: