09 May 2006

Fight

Well, at least the shouting has stopped.

It's strange one minute my brother is shouting left and right, and the next minute all's quiet again, and he and his girlfriend have dimmed the lights and are sleeping.

It was unpleasant to hear the shouts. My brother was scolding the girlfriend for not studying diligent enough. He has a point, since so far she's not managed to pass any of her subjects. I guess he was just concerned that she may not pass this year. But why shout and scream like that? I mean there are better and more 'civilised' ways to get the message across than shout and scream and repeatedly drone in the same message every single day, right?

It was uncomfortable, being just next door and hearing all those abusive words, and not being able to say a thing. It's not the words themselves that made it disturbing, there was no name calling or worse; it was more the tone they were said in, and how I imagined the girlfriend must have been feeling. Was she crying? Was she bitter and angry? She came out to go to the bathroom, which is across from my. I think she avoided looking at me...or was it I who avoided looking at her? What an awkward situation...


This is not the first time, and probably won't be the last. My brother definitely has anger- and emotion-management issues. I've been in similar situations plenty of times to know that when my brother gets angry he seems to become so un-human. Trust me, I would know.

I felt like I wanted to say something, or at least do something to break off the tension. I don't like seeing people abused, and it fills me with this oppressive feeling of anger mixed with powerlessness and memories. Time and time again.

No comments: