10 October 2014

Life update

Been a struggle being home alone since my brother and his family were here. For two weeks, you get so quickly used to the presence of others, to having breakfast together, to cooking together, to the constant laughter and sounds of banging made by my nephew. You get so used to all that... Suddenly, silence. 
Fortunately, a friend called me yesterday afternoon and asked if I wanted to go with him to spot planes next to the runway. I was reluctant at first, but was I glad I did in the end. Watching those powerful machines land and take off, land and tak off on their way from/to far flung lands filled me with joy.
My friend told me my parents would be so happy and so proud, so peaceful, knowing that my brother and his family came and knowing the lengths I went to make them feel welcome. Whatever tensions and feuds we had, there are bygones. Important are the memories we made together, and memories of seeing them so happy and seeing their eyes light up at the sight of the lakes, the mountains, the wilderness and bears. Important is that I bonded with my nephew and made him more part of my life, and that he made me more part of his life. 
I got home last night and started to work on articles that need to be finalised for publication. Two more weeks till it all has to be put together and printed, and yet one more article is missing. I've asked for it long ago, for i don't want a repeat of last years experience where I had to stay till close to midnight several days at the office just trying to finish off the work and meet the deadline... It drains me so. And I want to start early so I can control the time, especially given I've got a teaching assignment on the side now. 
Then I got messages from a friend I met some months ago. Distressed messages , pleas for help. The guy's been having tensions at home, and his parents want him out of the house. He doesn't have anywhere to go, and asked if I could him stay a while till he finds a place and gets back on his feet. 
I'm reluctant, but a friend in need is a friend indeed?

No comments: