04 December 2014

End of the class

hey applauded, actually applauded. I stood there with a broad smile and saw smiles of appreciation and interest reflected back, and I was touched. One or two even stood up as they applauded. I felt awkward, not the first time I felt awkward in front of the classroom, but this time I felt awkward even though I knew all that hard work, the dedication and time I put into preparing for this course paid off. Paid off in their smiles, in their intriguing questions, paid off in the ways many of them approached me at the end of every class to thank you for the wonderful and thought provoking way the course has been designed and taught. Or perhaps they were just especially glad because there were juices, fudge brownies, croissants and pains au chocolat to be enjoyed in the very last class. 

It has been a long, and exhausting three months. And I imagine this must be how it is to be a first time lecturer. I remember still how I dreaded the first class, and for the past three months my weekends were basically extended working days. I would stay up till four or five the day before a lecture and be preparing power point slides and flipping through the text book for information and all I can find on a particular topic. It was intense, extremely intense, but at the end of the day, when I see students engage in the materials and present on a topic of their choice and when I see how interested and that "spark" in their eyes, it is all worth it. 

Over the past day or so, I've received emails congratulating me on a job well done, touching messages that soothe the amount of work and sleepless nights I've put into preparing the course. It was all worth, it definitely was all worth it. ("...so graceful, respectful and learned an instructor", was one email).

After class, as I cleared up the room and packed up the decorations, I looked back at the empty classroom. When will be the next time I have another opportunity to stand there, I wondered. And I thought of my parents... Were they there too? Were there at my side in those brief moments of glory, sharing my pride and listening to the applause echo in the room? Were they smiling too? I hope so. I so dearly hope so. 

In fact, on the very last slide, I acknowledged all the people who have helped me, and on the original slides, I put my parents on there (I removed it after someone said it was too personal... But I'll add it again and upload it to the online learning platform for students to download). I stood there and smiled at the students, grateful to them for giving me this opportunity to learn and to grow, and to be "better". As a colleague told me, I have become so much better and have a new found confidence that was not there in the immediate aftermath of losing mum... Yes, the past two years have been dull and grey, and this experience in teaching has allowed me to spark and shine again. A few times, while in front of the classroom, I would look at the back of the room and imagine mum and dad sitting there side by side and smiling back at me. How sweet, yet quietly bitter, that thought is! 

And what now...? 
 
I just finished a grueling few months of work and helped to publish two books, but nothing I can really call my work. I taught a course, and seemed to have inspired students to look into this field as a possible career option. But what about me? What is my career future? 

For some time I have been restless and wanted to move away from here. I just felt I've been staying here in this city for far too long. And I'm on my way to complete the equivalency exams to be eligible to take bar. Yet I so dread to go into legal practice. In fact, the more I hear people in legal practice talk about their work, and the more I see them change and become different people, the less I am inclined to go into that field. 

So what now then? I've had my taste of academic life, and been more or less in it for the past ten years. I've had my experience of teaching and research, despite not having produced much work of my own for some time, and I do generally enjoy this environment. Most of all I enjoy the freedom to come And go, to do things at my own pace and have no real boss or pressure behind me. 

But am I really willing to commit another three, four years of my life to study and to books and research? Do I really want this? 

No comments: