18 September 2010

Entertainment

The train rocked under the motion of the rubber tires, and my eyes tried to follow the lines in my book that narrated the novel I was reading. Suddenly in the corner of my eye I saw motion, and I looked up.

A woman, middle aged, with wild black hair and a face refined with wrinkles, leapt from her seat and darted toward the centre of the carriage. On a pole, one that commuters normally hang onto to brace themselves from stumbling and falling onto fellow passengers, she swung. With her legs like a vine intertwining the pole, she worked it smoothly like a pole dancer. Once, twice she swung, in swift and soundless motion that captured the attention of everyone sitting in the carriage.

As quickly as she got up and swung, she sat down again. She threw her head back and burst out in laughter, laughter that was muffled out by the screeching of the metro. Her cleavage was showing in her lowcut tee, and the heels of her boots must have been at least 10cm high.

"Just entertainment", she said to a lady sitting next to her, "I'm not hurting anyone, it's just for fun!" The lady next to her nodded and smiled politely, and tried to get back to her reading. The pole-dancing woman grabbed a can and started to gulp it down. "It's Saturday night. You have to make some fun!"

And she sure did. She got off at my stop, and after a glimpse at her can did I realise that even ginger ale can give you such a rush and high.

No comments: