24 June 2009

Tribute to Michael Jackson




As a child I had no clue what he sang about.

But I do remember his CD, on the cover of which were his piercing dark eyes. And I do remember watching video clips filled with different coloured people, moon walks and scary monsters with fangs. And of course, how could I forget the beautiful background music of that iconic moment when the orca finally leapt to freedom?

Hold me
Love me and feed me
Kiss me and free me
I will feel blessed
(Will you be there?)

Later, his voice would often send shivers down my spine, sometimes moisten my eyes, and always makes me feel rejuvenated with hope and passion for living. His words brought people together. His songs broke language and cultural barriers. They were about sorrow, human compassion, common understandings, and were constant reminders to the people of this world of the great potentials if we could only forget petty differences and prejudices.

Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Jew me, Sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, Kike me
Don't you black or white me
(They Don't Care About Us)

Despite the fame and riches he enjoyed, he continued to sing, and do so with soul and a very human touch. Sometimes even uniting with other talented musicians and artists to champion peace, spread love, and promote respect for this home we call Earth.

What about all the things
That you said was yours and mine...
Did you ever stop to notice
All the blood we've shed before
Did you ever stop to notice
The crying Earth the weeping shores?
(Earth Song)

His actions and songs advocated noble causes, or maybe even impossible dreams in the state of decay and war we find ourselves in today. But he reminded us, with his moves, his trademark shrieks, and that cheeky smile and those eaglespread arms about the little steps that can affect change.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change
(Man in the mirror)

It is no wonder that millions have been swept away by the King of Pop, and that millions will now mourn and weep at his loss. He cautioned people against the blindness of hatred, reminded us about the sorrow that unites us all as much as happiness and hope, about the forgotten and the downtrodden. He spoke to people’s hearts with such personal and emotional depth. Because “It Don't Matter If You're/Black Or White”, ask yourself

How does it feel
When you're alone
And you're cold inside?
(Stranger in Moscow)

Michael Jackson may be gone, may have lived the last years of his life in obscurity and media induced negative publicity, but no doubt his songs, his music, and that soft, soft voice will continue to move the world.

And… perhaps one day even heal it.

Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
If You Care Enough
For The Living
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me
(Heal the world)

No comments: