12 January 2009

Walk through Taipei

Strolled through the city, next to towering skyscrappers, the bright lights and flashing neons abuzz with life. It's been over two years since I last went to the Xinyi District. What used to be parking lots and grass fields now are construction sites and the skeletons of buildings near completion. How much has changed in the span of time!

Mum and brother left to Hokkaido this morning. I encouraged them to take a holiday together, to get away and spend time together. Though I never imagined somewhere even colder than the blustery winds and cold spell that is hitting Taipei now. But earlier in the afternoon I received a call, and brother said that they arrived safely, and have already enjoyed their first soak in the hot springs, an open-air one at that, and at the same time snow was falling. Must have been some sight and experience.

So I came home to an empty apartment. Though auntie A-Hua is living here, she has a 24hr shift today at the local hot spring hotel. I chatted with her over breakfast, and she lamented how much of a hard work her job is. It's not that she's always working, but she has to be there at least 24hr on call, ready to clean up after guests have used their bath facilities. She works one whole day, and gets one day off. Seems fair, but then again if you calculate the hours, one whole day means three working days for a normal 8hr/day job. And on days when it's really cold, people constantly stream in, even in the early hours. This is, after all, a city that doesn't really sleep. I listened with compassion, trying to imagine the hard work, but at the same time hoping that she would continue with her work, as it's given her financial independence and security. Later as I wandered through the streets, I came across at least two homeless people. The economic depression is really visible.

I came home just now, and closed the door. I sat down, and there was a silence, an emptiness. It's a big apartment, and sitting there in the living room, looking around, I realised how lonely it can get here. Especially if I just looked around, and see all these objects, belongings, pictures and reminders of me, brother, and of dad too. Is this what mum feels at the end of the day?


No comments: