07 September 2008

In between

Despite the noise of the morning traffic, the racket of passing monster trucks, and the sirens of emergency services, it was a long and welcome chat on the phone. Thanks to my friend who called to check up on how I was doing, for an hour or so I felt less alone and more comfortable being here. We exchanged laughs, as I excitedly told her about my new apartment and how eager I was to move into my very first home of my own. She shared my happiness, and felt my anxieties about being here and having to start life all over again. It felt good to know that someone cares so much. Though she was far away, she was in fact so very close.

I guess in all the excitement about coming to Canada, I completely forgot how much I dislike the dirt and din of big cities. Or perhaps it just takes some getting used to, especially coming from a quiet little village like The Hague, where two pedals away I could always easily escape into the recluse of the forest. Like in my undergrad days in London, my new university is right in the heart of Montreal, situated in the shadow of skyscrapers and the city’s highest hill. In fact, there is even an metro station named after my university, which I guess is something to be proud of. Then again, it feels strange that once you step outside of the classroom, you are again in the bustle and hustle of city life.

I checked out of the hostel I have been staying in for the last five days. Originally I was supposed to move into the new apartment in the morning, but the old tenant was still there, so my landlord told me to wait till the evening. Since I could not do anything, I headed to the law library for the first time. A pretty building, right opposite my institute, five floors, and actually not all that big, especially considering it is the library that supports probably (one of ) the best law school in Canada. I was one of the very few people in the library, especially given that it was a Saturday, and that school had just begun. I sat down, and for the next hours till dusk fell, I worked on a paper that I am working on together with friends I met during the summer school in Barcelona.

Outside, for the first time since I arrived in Canada, it began to rain. The sky had been heavy and dense the whole day, and finally it started to pour. The city took on a whole new coat in the dampness, and even the skyscrapers in the background seemed to have their usual proud towering postures dampened.

I moved the remaining of my luggage to a temporary apartment that my landlord had given to me before I moved into my own one. I called him, just to ask what the situation is, and then came the bad news.

The apartment I had liked since I stepped into it is not going to be available. Apparently, the girl who is staying there changed her mind and does not want to move anymore. What is more, she is actually someone who special needs, which means it will take a lot of effort for her to move house, especially since special appliances that cater for her will have to be fitted, and this cannot just happen within a day or so. According to the landlord, she threw a fit, and was very difficult to deal with. And the landlord sounded really apologetic, and offered to give me another apartment that is in better condition.

What was I to say? To be honest, I was not sure what to believe, but then again, I did not have it in me to say that my needs for the apartment that I liked so much would come before a girl with special needs. I mean, I can only imagine how tough it must be for her to be living on her own, let alone have to be forced to move in a sudden notice. Of course, I was extremely disappointed, and have been feeling pretty upset since I heard the news.

But then again… it is just an apartment, right?

No comments: