13 May 2008

Mission Accomplished!



This "Mission Accomplished" is no empty a-la-Bush gesture. I rushed up the five flights of stairs as my mum opened the door home. She was so happy to see me, the joy expressed in her broad smile. I set down my suitcase and gave her a big hug. I am home.

This whole covert mission codenamed Operation "Go Home" took almost two months of meticulous planning, and every bit of it was executed splendidly. An international mission involving a strong Coalition of the Willing (to let Me Stay for Free) based in London and Singapore, three cross-border flights totaling 17 flight hours, including one on the latest Airbus A380. And it was done on a low-budget and with one suitcase, as well as the cooperation and silence of those few people who knew of my mission.

The objective, to surprise my mum and spend some time with her, and also commemorate 100 days since my dad's death. The target (my mum) really had no idea, not even the slightest hint or inkling, which really contributed to the mission's success even more!

Funny thing is, throughout these number of weeks I had dropped hints here and there to my mum. I had for example asked her a number of times to confirm when the big ceremony for my dad would take place. And last week, I had told her I would be going to London, and going away "for a number of days". On Sunday, Mother's Day, I called my mum and told her that I would be "going home on Tuesday". And last night as soon as I landed in Taipei, I called her and told her that I was at the airport, and that I would "be home within the hour".

At first, she just thought I was back in The Netherlands, despite the fact there was a loud person in the background speaking in Taiwanese. A hilarious moment, and I thought that would give everything away.

"Do you know at which airport I am?" She had no clue.
"Taoyuan International Airport!" There was a little silence, and then the shock. "WHAT?! You came home? WHY?!" she asked, still in disbelief. Later I learnt that as soon as she heard I was home, tears almost flowed from joy. I was laughing out loud, feeling like a mischievous boy up to no good, but knowing that this entire plan was something I am glad I had been able to accomplish, and that it will hopefully give her the boost of energy and joy to go on despite the odds and pains of her illness.

I rode home, feeling like the bus was not going as fast as it could. Outside, the familiar sights, lights and buildings of Taipei arose horizon, and soon enough I was in the midst of the busi-ness of the city again.

Three flights and a flight of stairs, and I was home again.

1 comment: