01 September 2007

Induction



I'm not a new student, so technically I don't need all that craziness and drunkedness in the first week of university. But today happened to be someone's birthday party, and I went. To be honest, I was a bit reluctant, because there was nobody I knew at the party, except for the birthday girl, and my best girl-friend. I actually made me appearance at the party conditional on my friend being present.

It actually didn't turn out to be too bad, and I met a nice girl who is about to start the same degree that I'm doing. So I spent some time just chatting with her, and telling her all the ins and outs of our programme, and she seemed genuinely interested. And the food wasn't too bad either, and there were plenty of drinks and snacks to go around.

As the evening went on, someone suggested that we go down to the local discotheek. This week happens to be 'induction week', and all these new students were coming into the town I study. We joked that there would be 'fresh blood', and that we might be able to pick up people by going to this dancing bar.

A bit reluctant I went. And it was just as I expected... terrible music, deafening to the ears, and all these strangers all over the place I didn't know, which made me feel a bit comfortable at times. I did dance a bit, with people I knew. And I looked around, looking at all these new people that are new in town, wondering whether there would be someone out there.......

But let's get real. How do you meet someone at a loud disco where everyone seems to be so drunk and confused? I certainly would never want to meet anyone like that. It was smoky, choking, and full of people looking for other people to get laid it seemed. Sleazy...

We danced around a bit, and the girls I was with were looking around and checking out guys, pointing out and whispering which one they thought were good-looking and suitable. I listened to their conversation, and in that sweet and 'innocent' voice of mine asked "Guys? Where? Where? Show me!"

To that one girlfriend responded by asking me: "Are you gay?"

"No, no. I'm not gay," I replied, smirking and took a drink out of my wine glass, looking and sounding smart, "I just like guys. Can't you tell?" I smirked some more. Obviously not.

At around two in the morning, I left the dancing bar with a friend who lives in the same city as I do. She and I cycled to the train station, both of us recovering from the horribly loud missing, and still hearing the hum in our ears. Both of us somewhat relieved to get out of that place.



No comments: