22 August 2007

Job x 2




I took a trip today! Not a day off to just relax, but it was a work-related trip. As a student-assistant you get all sorts of jobs that nobody wants to do, but must be done. So I was sent to go to a little town in the countryside to pick up somethings.

It took me one hour to get there by bus, and one hour to get back. Besides the bus driver, there was no one but me, so it was like a special service. I reached the town of Lisse and managed to find the accountant's office I was looking for. I was a little nervous, because I had come to bring the accountant bad news. He had been doing the book-keeping for a while, but because it was getting to be too expensive, we decided to do it ourselves.

I guess he was polite, but he looked at me and asked very directly who was going to do the accounting. Somehow I felt like he was thinking that I'm taking over his job, and he wasn't too happy about that. Oh well, I left his office five minutes later, with a big box and began my journey back.

Fields, tractors, flowers, farmers, and sunshine! What more could you expect from the countryside? I enjoyed the ride, read the newspaper a bit and before I knew it was back at the office again.

I managed to get the afternoon off, because my boss thought I did a great job. Carrying boxes and taking the bus does take a lot of time and effort, indeed. But I didn't go home straight away, but stayed at the office to work on my thesis.

After reading a few articles I felt my eyelids start to close. The sudden nice weather didn't help cure my sleepiness. So I yawned, rubbed my eyes and lay down on the floor of my office and took a sweet nap.

When I got up it was already past 4pm. I yawned and lazily got up and sat myself down in front of the computer. Unable to get rid of my habit of checking my email every five minutes, I checked my email.

And there was a surprise email.

About a week ago I applied for an internship at the ICTY (International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia). Just because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and was thinking "Why not? What do I have to loose?". It would be a great experience, working for a Defence Team, helping them defend some of the people (notoriously) accused of war crimes during the conflict in the early 1990s in the former Yugoslavia.

And suddenly I got an email saying they'd be happy to have me there! I sat in front of the computer, and read and re-read the email, in disbelief. No prospects it seemed for so many months, and suddenly two offers within two weeks?! Crazy! Unbelievable!

What's next, I wonder. The sweet, sensitive guy of my dreams to sweep me off my feet?


No comments: