30 November 2006

Cancelled


Was looking forward to tonight and going to a movie with an old friend from school. We've not seen each other in months, and I called two weeks ago just to ask how he's doing. With him, it always seems like we kept in touch, even after such a long time. So we agreed to go to the movies last week, but because I had a paper to finish off, had to cancel at the last minute.

We postponed to this week, and at the last minute he cancelled, because he had a paper to finish off. I was walking around in the Christmas-shopping craze and crowd when he called, and was I disappointed...

Oh well, I walked around more, and thought of making something out of the evening anyways. It's been a while since I last was in town, so I walked around and, despite swearing to myself I'd not be absorbed into the drone-like state of senseless consumerism and enticements of modern capitalism, I felt I needed to pick up some things for some friends. These dear friends, many I don't see much, some I haven't even seen before, have given me so much with so little that they deserved to be thanked, and thanked again.

I know, a little gift cannot 'pay back' all those moments and words of support and encouragement and friendship when I neeeded them most. But I hope, from the bottom my little heart, that my little gift will show them how much I appreciate, and treasure, them being there. Always.

No comments: