24 November 2006

Walk in the rain


When it started to sizzle around me, I realised it was raining.

Little sizzling sounds, of small rain droplets hitting the sand beneath. Almost inaudible at first, overshadowed by the sound of the waves. I felt my face tickle with slight dampness and cold sensations.

I had been walking on the beach for I don't know how long. It was a welcome break, to clear my mind of the principles and rules on 'use of force' that's been nagging at me for the last few weeks. Finally now that the paper is finished and handed in, I can take a little break.

I needed the walk too, to get away. From the dirty mess and non-talking at home.

And I needed to get away, clear my mind, and somehow make peace with the thought that a friend of mine is gone, and gone forever. How ironic that I should be walking by the sea, that I should watch the waves pull closer and pull away when my thoughts were with him tonight. The same sea, or at least great big mass of water connected together, he lost his life to.

I walked and walked, hands clutched around my chest to shield from the cold. The beach was empty. The tourists have long left, and the restaurants and beach tents that huddled on the sand before too have disappeared.

Deserted, just me and the empty sea.

No comments: